Thursday, February 27, 2014

TED Talks - Introverts

Hello again Internet!

I have crawled out of the hobbit hole I call my apartment, and I am back by popular demand to write more about stuff!  


And popular demand, I mean my 2 friends, who I'm pretty sure are the only people who read this.


I would like to take the time to reaffirm my being an introvert.  Thank you.



While I may not have expected summer camp to be a time of reading, I did want to have time away from everyone else.  Frankly, being 10 years old in a cabin with 12 other 10 year old girls was exhausting.  

I did not and may never have the stamina to handle that many people all day, everyday for two weeks.


They would want to gab.


And I would either politely engage or reply with short answers.  More likely than not, it was short, blunt, and socially unacceptable responses.


Most of the girls did not want to talk to me.
This did not make summer camp the greatest of experiences.  It's not that I intentionally said these things to be harsh or socially awkward.

Even though I was left alone at camp, except to talk to the one friend who actually came with me to camp, I was content being by myself.

This contentedness continued to grow as I was ostracized by my peers all through grade school to high school.  Fortunately, my teachers understood this and let me be to work on my own, which I was more than happy to do.

I understand Darcy. 
For a while, I called myself shy.  

Let's break this apart.  Shy is defined as "being reserved or having or showing nervousness or timidity in the company of other people."

People don't make me nervous.  The social obligations they bring make me nervous.

How much conversation can you get out of the weather?





Clearly, my conversation skills are lacking
But once I get into a little band of nerd friends, I'm not timid.


And then we are super best friends.
To sum it all up:

Because even though introverts are misunderstood constantly, you know this to be true:



No comments:

Post a Comment