Friday, August 10, 2012

Interviewing is Like Speed Dating

Not that I've ever been speed dating, but I have been on a fair amount of interview.  After all the pain for each 30-45 minute meeting, I walk out feeling rejected and hopeless, which is how I imagine an unsuccessful speed dating venture to feel. But here are the parallels.

You get all dressed up.

Not just clothing wise, but everything.  For interviews, you put on your best suit along with hiding all the not so good parts of your personality.  Only show your best side.  Same things for speed dating.  Put on your best outfit, put on all your makeup, only show your good side.  Then you wrap all of this up in a smile.  After all this effort they HAVE to pick you, right? WRONG!!



It's like the final song in Grease, minus all the singing and choreographed dancing.

You're trapped either in a room or at a table with some stranger trying to convince them that you are the one they want.  You have the best resume or the right looks or best whatever.  Bottom line, you want to prove that you're the best, and you should be picked.


You're asked the same awkward questions.

Now that you've just met someone, they want to know what you plan on doing in the next 5 years and about who you are.  Whoa honey! I just met you 30 seconds ago. Slow down. And no you can't tell the about all the cool things you do like building fires out of rocks and sticks, or building crazy jungle traps to catch Predator. Nope, can't say that.  Trust me.  I told my interviewer that I liked Army trucks and did archery.  I knew the girl interviewing after me, and she told the guy that I really liked zombies.

This was me in that moment. Quantum-locked in awkwardness.
Because let's face it.  The guy didn't really care about trucks, archery, or zombies. (even though preparing for zombies is really important!! They will rise!)  He just wanted to know if I could do the job.  Which is what in the end everyone is looking for, someone who can do the job they want, whether it be a secretary, intern, girlfriend, husband, wife, or whatever else they want.  The rest, really isn't that important.  They'll figure it out later.

I would say more, but Predator is on TV and I really want to watch it.  It's the best part! So do everyone a favor and


Happy weekend!!


No comments:

Post a Comment