Monday, April 14, 2014

Concerning Hobbits

For those of you who don't know, the Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug came out on DVD/Blu-ray. And if you don't have it, go get it.  Really, pick it up now.  Smaug is perfect!

Anyways, while I was watching the movie (literally) right after I got it, and I couldn't help but think, "As much as I'd like to be an elf, a dragon, or other fantastic creature, I'm probably a hobbit."

I'm not 3 feet tall (the average height of a hobbit) not by a long shot. 
I am a giant, even compared to other adults.  This fact would only be further magnified if I stood next to a hobbit.  
And I don't have huge hairy feet. Just no.

Despite the height requirement and the hairy feet, I think of all the different creatures and people in Middle Earth, I'm probably a hobbit.

The number one thing that hobbits like is greenery.  This includes taking care of plants. 

I must have inherited this gift.  My violets keep growing and sprouting little baby violets.

But look at the Shire.  Who wouldn't want to live there?

I will let all of you know. This is my idea of the perfect place to live.
For those of you who have read The Hobbit, you'll remember the first paragraph of the book.  As a side note, this is a wonderful beginning to a book.  When I first read the book, I was immediately transported to another world.

You'll remember from The Hobbit that hobbit-holes equate to comfort. Look inside Bag End.  That looks like a place you can sit on your porch (or even better under the party tree) or sit by a fire curled up with a book.


Isn't that what we all aspire to in our own homes (whether it's an actual house, apartment, condo, etc.)?

Anyways, let's get back on track.  

Also, hobbits love food.  Done.  Another favorite.  Who wouldn't want to eat 7 meals a day??

I will have all of you know, I LOVE food.  A lot. 

I'm like that hobbit at the beginning of Fellowship who instead of paying attention to his lady hobbit, far more concerned about eating a cupcake.
I have probably done this before.
Except when I'm really hungry this is what it looks like.

Here I probably resemble Gollum more than a hobbit.

What do you think?

Back to hobbit stuff.


Back to hobbits.

Tolkien also mentions that hobbits are shy now, and they have little to do with "Big Folk" (translation people).

I am not shy.  However, I am (to quote Lord of the Rings) quite content to ignore and be ignored by the world of the Big Folk.




Thank you to Peter Jackson and everyone involved in The Hobbit movies and The Lord of the Rings for bringing my favorite books to life!



No comments:

Post a Comment